Major Scale “the Foundation of all things GOOD”
- The major scale is the first of the diatonic scales
- Another name for the major scale: the Ionian Mode
- A major scale has 7 notes
- For the scale to be major, all that is necessary is that the whole step (W), (W), Half (H), (W), (W), (W), (H) pattern be followed.
The first and simplest major scale is the C major scale:
- The C major scale is the only major scale that doesn’t have sharps (#) or flats (b). We’ll see a bit further what this means.
- If you play the C major scale on the piano
- , only white notes are used (all the white notes) .
- In solfege, the notes of the major scale are named like this: Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti (or Si)
- Another notation that is used is the following: C D E F G A B C
- For every note of the major scale you can make a chord…..